Robo Mask 1

DSC00385This is the first mask I have designed from scratch. It took about a few days to get from concept to completed mask. I tend to binge make things! Its design was heavily inspired by the masks from the new Destiny computer game and Japanese art.

The mask is constructed from some scabby old 5mm foam board that had bowed from becoming damp.  I traced a profile of my head onto paper then sketched the two side panels and cut them out. From there I cobbled the rest of the mask working from the top down.

Electronics were included in the form of a glowing central eye that pivots on a universal joint. Two servos are used to provide the motion, they are controlled using an Arduino and a joystick. Using the Adafruit TicoServo Library lets you run Neopixels and servos from one Arduino which is nifty.

giphy

The mask was then sprayed with paints obtained from a great little shop in Edinburgh called Mainline. With a good selection of quality paints and friendly service, I will be going back soon!

Japanese characters were added using paint and sharpie. I used google translate for guidance here. The final product, however, left me flat and a little disappointed. That was until I weathered it with thinned down Tamiya acrylics as I had seen done by Adam Savage on a recent Tested video. Weathering completely changes the mask giving it a richer more interesting appearance.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s